Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Movie Classic: Rain Man

I am ashamed to admit that as a long- time movie lover, I only recently saw Rain Man for the first time! This movie was absolutely delightful. The premise is about a yuppie played by Tom Cruise who recently discovers that he has an older autistic brother played by Dustin Hoffman. I don't want to give it away, but during the course of the film, both characters change in a short period of time as a result of that unspeakable bond between siblings. But I think that any viewer would fall for Hoffman's character. Though deficient in his ability to express his feelings and love for others in conventional ways, he is able to pull at the heartstrings of all who come in contact with him. I didn't feel sorry for him, but compelled to be around him because of some inexplicable, intangible thing. You feel as if you are a better person for knowing him- simply by proxy. What's more, no matter how impossible, one hopes to be the one that will change his affective state. As far as the technical aspects of playing an autistic person, I think that further research could have added a sprinkle more to the authenticity of the character, however the essence of the story is not lost in these subtle nuances. I know that each time I watch this movie, I'll gain something new and valuable from it. Grade: A

No comments: